Skip to main content

Celebrating You


I was sitting in contemplation when an inner voice said to me, "Do you realize that we often criticize ourselves when we make the smallest mistakes, and we don't celebrate ourselves or feel proud of ourselves until we accomplish something 'grand,' whatever that thing is? And, when we finally reach that big-goal, often after much stress and effort, before we even have time to savor our success and celebrate ourselves, we immediately give ourselves the next thing to do. We are bad if make a small mistake and only good if we make a good, huge, achievement. Don't you think that is out of balance when we do so to ourselves?"

Hm, a good point, I thought.

Looking at my own life, I can see places and times where I did just that, I got upset with myself for a small mistake and I didn't even realize when I did something significantly important for myself, my family or the world around me.

Have you done that? Do you do so often?

Well, how about joining me in a daily practice of being aware of and validating our successes, our accomplishments, all the things we do well, no matter how small? We can start small, just doing it for a week or so. If it feels right and good for you to continue this practice after a week, feel free to do so.

Here's the plan.

We do so many things right every day. If you think about it, our body knows how to do so many miracles of life for us: breathing, processing food, standing straight up, walking, seeing, eliminating toxins, and so much more. Do you know that just to stand upright, the body orchestrated an amazing amount of coordination among muscles, bones, and nerves?

Most of us know how to brush our teeth. It is something we do quite effortlessly. Think of the many various little tasks that go with that small act of caring for ourselves: we are able to squeeze the toothpaste tube and put the paste on our toothbrush just so, we can maneuver our nimble fingers to grab the brush and move it around our mouth in just the right amount of pressure so that we don't hurt ourselves, and some of us probably go through great length choosing a specific toothpaste to use. Imagine all the effort just to clean our teeth. How about all the other ways we take care of ourselves? Thank yourself for driving safely to work, for crossing the street safely, for nourishing yourself. (Never mind if it's junk food now, you'll get out of that habit as you find balance within yourself.) How about all the various ways we contribute to our family, our community and our world?

When I invite you to celebrate your successes and brilliance, in whatever size they come in, I don't mean for you to go around being righteous and telling people off when they criticize you or find fault with you. No. I mean for you to look at yourself with a fresh eye, be aware of all the wonderful things you are already doing so well on daily basis, and validate your amazingness reverently.

If, say, after a week of doing so, you begin to feel the sweetness of appreciation naturally welling up from within you and radiating out towards others, spend a moment to hug yourself and whisper to yourself, "Thank you for paving the way and bringing me closer to Love's Presence."

And, you and the Universe can wink at each other and celebrate your finding the sweet balance within yourself. Congratulations!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Invitation to Blossom

(This article was first published in the March 2006 edition of Metta Center Newsletter.) "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~ Anaïs Nin When I first read this quote, years ago, I was struck by the enormity of the truth resonating from these words. I felt it with my entire being. It has since been one of my favorite quotes that I go back to when I need an inspiration to renew my hope and grow my courage. This quote is so poignant to me now as we move into Spring where renewal and growth are obvious to the senses. Spring is practically bursting with new life: the flower buds are swollen and some even have blossomed, new branches are extending, soft green shoots are poking out from the cold ground, fresh flower fragrance is in the air. Mother nature is renewing herself after a winter of quietly gathering her potential for growth. It is as if She is telling us, “Trust that spring comes after winter. E...

A Rumi Poem: A Garden Beyond Paradise

Everything you see has its roots in the unseen world. The forms may change,     yet the essence remains the same. Every wondrous sight will vanish, every sweet word will fade.     But do not be disheartened, The Source they come from is eternal— growing, branching out,     giving new life and new joy. Why do you weep?— That Source is within you, and this whole world     is springing up from it. The Source is full, its waters are ever-flowing;     Do not grieve,     drink your fill! Don't think it will ever run dry— This is the endless Ocean! From the moment you came into this world, a ladder was placed in front of you     that you might transcend it. From earth, you became plant, from plant you became animal. Afterwards you became a human being, endowed with knowledge, intellect and faith. Behold the body, born of dust—     how perfect ...

Keep Loving

"The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson   As I meditated today, I asked the Universe what will be helpful for me to focus on. A swift and powerful feeling of sweetness filled my heart. The message came clearly: "Keep Loving". In the spirit of that message and giving thanks to all that has supported our lives, I would like to give thanks to the Universe for you, for your unique presence in the world and for bringing your blessings to everything and everyone that crosses your paths. With appreciation, Christine  2020 has been a challenging year for pretty much everyone worldwide. Here are a couple simple self-healing tips to help you connect to more inner peace as you move through this period. Using  EFT , you can tap with the setup phrase of: "Even though I am having trouble accepting (whatever the situation is), I deeply and completely love and accept myself and choose to feel love and appr...